In a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat, heat the oil. Add the split peas, vegetable broth, bay leaves, and liquid smoke. I don’t have very good memories of split pea soup (or pea and ham soup) from when I was a kid, for I was quite the food phobe. In a large soup pot, saute onions in olive oil at medium heat for about 2 minutes until translucent. The awesome thing about this soup is that it’s easy to keep all of the ingredients on hand, so you can make it any time! Still craving cozy? Add sliced carrots, reduce heat, cover and cook for an additional 2 minutes. A Couple Cooks was awarded the IACP Best Individual Blog award in 2019 by the International Association of Culinary Professional, © 2020 - A Couple Cooks®| Privacy Policy and Disclosure. Did I already say it was delicious?! NOTE: The split peas will take 1 hour to soak before they can be used in the making of this soup … 1 yellow onion, diced. Filed Under: Soups Tagged With: carrots, cumin, easy, gluten free, instant pot, split peas. Now it’s time to add the broth and peas. While the soup cooks, toss the cubed bread with the olive oil, then sprinkle on the sumac and toss … This recipe takes a little while to make, but most of that time is hands-off. I’ve noticed that I do this a lot more now since working from home. This split pea soup is vegetarian (vegan, even) because I wasn’t in the ham mood, but you could certainly add a ham hock or some cubed ham to the pot before you turn it on. Add the rest of the ingredients to the pot except water/broth and saute for 2 more minutes. The recipes have been well tested and will work for you and your family every time! I think it’s just what I need to combat this dumb cold I got from my sweetly sharing husband. Lower the heat and allow the soup to simmer until the peas are very soft and falling apart, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes. Subscribe for free weekly recipes & more! Heat some oil in a large pot and add your onion, carrots and celery. Totally in love with this delicious Vegan Split Pea Potato Soup. We used an immersion blender to blend our vegetarian split pea soup a bit after cooking, but not too much – we like to keep it fairly chunky. I had a hard time picking a version for this post, but I decided to go with a vegan version of what I consider classic split pea soup — the smoky stuff that’s normally made with ham. I’m a new split pea soup convert. Yumm….I would never have thought to add liquid smoke, thanks for the tip! Broth works too, but the soup could get too salty if you add a lot. … I didn't have marjoram on hand so I used dried oregano (K9DOGLOVER: thanks for the suggestion). It keeps well in the fridge for up to five days, and it actually tastes better the longer it sits! 1/2 teaspoon of dried savory. This soup was cozy, filling, and oh-so-yummy! 1 tsp liquid smoke. A sure hit with my family too even those Non Vegan loved it. If you’ve just bought liquid smoke for this recipe, we have a few others that use it! Add the bay leaf, carrots, potatoes, – Used three stalks of celery, a larger onion, and two large carrots (unpeeled because it doesn’t make a difference in soup) Vegan Split Pea Soup. Whole Food Plant Based, vegan, plant based, oil free refined sugar free, no highly processed ingredients, and gluten free. You can read more about me here. Cover the pot. Keep it vegan/vegetarian: Omit meat, use vegetable broth and add smoked paprika or liquid smoke to taste after split pea soup has finished cooking. When it is heated, add the onion, celery and carrots … Healthy, hearty, and packed with smoky flavor…this vegetarian split pea soup is pure comfort in a bowl! It's a filling, easy plant based meal! Hit the “cancel” button, then stir in your broth and split peas. It’s split pea soup. Add garlic and split peas and saute for 1 minute. A delicious healthy and hearty meal ready in an hour and a half start to finish. When the soup has finished simmering, remove it from the heat and stir in the vinegar and liquid smoke. Your email address will not be published. 1 tsp salt. – One box of veg broth isn’t enough cups so I used a little more water They’re a field pea, a pea grown for drying, It’s a special type of dried pea that is split in half, making it break down easily into a thick, soup like consistency when cooked. I’m a new split pea soup convert. I ended up having to add about 2 c of broth so there would be more of a base. STOVE TOP VERSION: Rinse the green split peas well and add them to your favorite soup pot (5 qt or bigger) with salt, bay leaves and water. This vegan split pea soup has it all! Smoked Paprika is one of my all-time favorite spices. I’ve been making so many soups and curries this winter because they’re so great to start in the morning and just continue to add stuff throughout the day. Pepper to taste. you may want to append your directions to include when to add the carrots though :). I add barley and lean pastrami to mine…. Add the potato, garlic, thyme, black pepper, bay leaf, and liquid smoke. – Only had some cherry wine, and apple cider vinegar, so I mixed both. Thank you! Use the Manual function to choose 20 minutes on High Pressure. I love split pea soup. I do! Simmer the soup for 1 ½ - 2 hours until the split … Ingredients. Honestly, it’s a lot of the flavor that people get when adding ham hocks or other such animal products. Smoked meats and processed meats have been linked to increased risks of cancer, so a traditional bowl of split pea soup … With a shelf life of 2 to 3 years, they’re a fantastic healthy ingredient to stock up on! Featured from the TODAY Show to Bon Appetit, Alex is author of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks by Epicurious. Place the lid on your Instant Pot, set your valve to “sealing,” and set your soup to pressure cook (“manual” button on older models) on high pressure for 15 minutes. You may find that the broth dries up while your soup cooks. Sauté some chopped onions and garlic in some olive oil and then you just throw in some dried split peas, potatoes and carrots along with … 3 bay leaves. Reduce heat; cover and simmer … Being vegetarian, the only thing I crave is ham. What is liquid smoke? Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat and … 1 yellow onion. If you’d like, you can garnish with smoked paprika, which also adds a subtle smokiness to this dish. Seriously, I almost cried eating this. Love split pea soup and love how easy it is to make! When the soup has finished cooking, carefully move the valve to the "venting" position. For the Instant Pot Split Pea Soup Turn on the Instant Pot and heat the oil on the Sauté function. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, partially covered for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent Smoky Vegetarian Split Pea Soup. Add the diced onions saute for 5 minutes until very soft. Bring the pot to a boil, then low the heat to a slow simmer. Instead I seasoned it with a touch of liquid smoke, which is pretty much magic in a bottle when it comes to making meatless things taste smoky, as well as some cumin. Vegetarian Split Pea Soup. Add your garlic and spices during the last minute, just like you’d do on the stove. BE SURE NOT TO ADD ANY SALT OR PRODUCTS THAT CONTAIN SALT TO THE SOUP BEFORE THE SPLIT PEAS HAVE BECOME TENDER! I'm in the first camp. I did add 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves to add another layer of flavor. Hit the "cancel" button. It IS! Set the steam release valve to Sealing. We like to freeze soups in individual portions so we can thaw out exactly the amount we need for a single serving. Sweat the vegetables for about 10 minutes, until they soften up a bit. Season the soup with salt and pepper to taste. This was very good! Cover the pot. I’ve made this Vegan Yellow Split Pea & ‘Ham’ Soup a few times now and usually make it with pre-split yellow peas, however I ended up with a bag of whole yellow peas which I needed to use up. Once the veggies are soft, add some garlic and your cumin. discussion from the Chowhound Home Cooking, Soup food community. Don’t have time to let your soup simmer for an hour or more? When the time goes off, let the pressure release via … I’m so glad it’s a hit! I get it now. connoisseurusveg.com Kay Kennedy. Stir in the vinegar and liquid smoke. I think soup is always a good place to start when using something for the first time. I think the liquid smoke really flavors the soup nicely and the absence of ham is not a drawback. Set the soup to cook for 15 minutes. I’m glad it was a hit! It is delicious. Keep a cup of hot water near the stove and add some whenever this happens. Once the onion is translucent and fragrant, add water, a vegetable bouillon cube, dried split peas, pearl barley, coriander, basil, and … Add the onion and carrots and saute for 2 minutes. Subscribe for email updates and receive a free copy of my veggie burger e-book! Was great for the weather here. Make it in the Instant Pot! Add split peas, salt, smoked paprika, bouillon and liquid smoke (if using) Add the onion, carrots, and celery, and sauté 4-5 minutes until they start to soften. Place first 5 ingredients in a large pot. I wish I didn’t add the vinegar and smoke, I preferred the flavor before I did those add ins! Thanks for sharing. Let the pressure release completely. There’s something very homey and comforting about a bowl of Cover and cook for 30 minutes. A new family favorite! Love the recipe! Saw a link to your site in comments on another blog. This soup is one of our favorite healthy dinner recipes! Made on the stovetop or in the Instant Pot! Add the liquid smoke, vegan Worcestershire, split peas and broth and stir to combine. Traditional split pea soup is made using a leftover ham bone and it usually contains some kind of smoked meat, like ham, bacon, or turkey. Add the garlic and cumin, and cook them with the vegetables until the garlic becomes very fragrant, about 1 minute. 10 Best Vegetarian Split Pea Soup Crock Pot Recipes | Yummly They either love it or hate it. Your email address will not be published. I omitted the oil to make it WFPBNO. Vegan Split Pea Soup made with simple and budget friendly ingredients. Split pea soup is healthy, comforting, and so easy to make. I'd love to connect with you on Facebook, Instagram, or Pinterest. * Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. This was my first time making split pea soup and it was a hit. Turn on the Instant Pot and heat the oil on the Sauté function. If you don’t have any liquid smoke, feel free to omit it or try adding a pinch of chipotle powder instead. Here are a few ways to use it up: Serve this vegan and vegetarian split pea soup with some crusty bread, biscuits (or vegan biscuits), or a simple side salad for a full meal. Sauté 1 minute. 8 cups vegetable broth. 2 tablespoons olive oil. green split peas, ground mustard, salt, liquid smoke, celery stalks and 10 more Vegan Split Pea Soup Can't Stay Out of the Kitchen oyster crackers, water, pepper, dried parsley, ground mustard and 20 more This was delicious! Alex’s mom often makes this meal for family, so it gives us all the cozy familial vibes. Add water or broth and bring to a boil. It’s creamy, hearty, and filling. Keep a bowl of hot water near the stove and add it as the broth dries up. Give everything a good stir, crank up the heat and bring the broth to a simmer. Cover and bring to a boil. Read the What would be a good, smoky tasting vegetarian substitute for ham hocks in split pea soup? Split peas can take an hour or more to soften up completely. To freeze, let cool completely and store in freezer safe containers (affiliate link), leaving ½ inch head space for expansion. Thank you! We also added some liquid smoke to mimic the ham that normally gives the soup flavor. Cancel the Sauté function, place the lid on the Instant Pot and lock it in place. Made this over holidays and again as popular now with meat eating family. Delicious! Since that kind of thing obviously doesn't go down in my kitchen, I use liquid smoke to get that smoky flavor … Add split peas, salt, smoked paprika, bouillon and liquid smoke (if using) Place the lid on your Instant Pot and set the valve to the "sealing" position. As the peas start … Add the carrots, celery, onion, and split peas to a large soup pot. So liquid smoke is actually smoke, in liquid form! 1 teaspoon of salt. Freezer: This vegan split pea soup is freezer friendly and freezes well for up to 2 – 3 months. 3 tablespoons of vegan margarine or vegetable oil. You won’t miss it in this recipe. Someone always asks this. Or don’t, and scroll down for the Instant Pot instructions! It’s the cozy equivalent of blueberry pancakes or mac and cheese, right? Give everything a stir to pick up any of the veggies from the bottom of the pan. Obviously there’s no ham in here. When the time is up you can move the valve to “venting” and let the pressure release before opening the lid. Bring the peas, bay leaves and water/stock to boil, then reduce to simmer for about 40 minutes. I get it now. Dec 21, 2019 - This is one of the best Split Pea Soup recipes I've ever eaten. And how about split pea soup? This soup was AMAZING! Thanks Rodney! ; Add the water/broth, bring to a boil, then simmer for 50 minutes to 1 hour, until the Hi, I'm Alissa! Add the split peas, broth (and wine if you are using it), carrots, bay leaf and black pepper. For the Instant Pot Split Pea Soup. And it’s not you – that always happens. Very delicious! Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. I saved it immediately to my online cookbook. Sonja and Alex Overhiser are writer and photographer behind A Couple Cooks and authors of Pretty Simple Cooking, named one of the best vegetarian cookbooks and best healthy cookbooks. The tough part about cooking split pea soup is the wait. My Italian neighbour’s split pea soup was the greatest treat growing up. With whole peas you need to pre-soak them (I soak the whole bag over night) then rinse & simmer in enough water to cover them until the peas are tender. Go to our Best Peas Recipes. Sweat the vegetables for about 5 minutes, until they begin to soften up. Join the discussion today. The instructions suggest keeping a bowl of water by the stove so you can add it as the liquid dries up. I esp love the addition of liquid smoke here. 1 1/2 cups split yellow peas, rinsed (does not require soaking) Split pea soup Ingredients. People fall into two camps when it comes to the humble split pea soup. So, what are split peas? Press the "pressure cook" or "manual" button and set the pressure to high. She’s host of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the food blog A Couple Cooks. Add the potato, garlic, thyme, black pepper, bay leaf, and liquid smoke. The ingredients were simple and the flavour was delightful. On A Couple Cooks, you will find healthy vegetarian, vegan, and whole food recipes. Will definitely make this soup again and again! But when experimenting with our own recipe, we found that simply adding some sautéed onions and garlic to a vegetable broth base gives great flavor. DIRECTIONS. Press the "sauté" button on your Instant Pot then add the oil. This vegetarian split pea soup is made with a touch of liquid smoke in place of the traditional ham. green split peas, ground mustard, salt, liquid smoke, celery stalks and 10 more Vegan Split Pea Soup Can't Stay Out of the Kitchen oyster crackers, water, pepper, dried parsley, ground mustard and 20 more I would definately make this again! Add 8 cups of water and stir. Set the steam release valve to Sealing. I love creating vegan recipes with bold flavors! It turned out really delicious, thanks for the recipe Alissa! Alex Overhiser is an acclaimed food photographer and author based in Indianapolis. Stir in the broth and peas. Stovetop Instructions. Learn how your comment data is processed. The liquid smoke adds a TON of smoky flavor that I associate with split pea soup. Wow this soup is game changer! I searched your site for split pea soup because I was at California Pizza Kitchen and the only vegan items they had were split pea soup, hummus and pasta with marinara. Be patient! Add water or broth and bring to a boil. Finely chop the carrots and celery. Refrigerator: Leftovers will keep for 5 – 6 days in the refrigerator, stored in a covered container. Most supermarkets carry it near the barbecue sauces. I used more garlic! – 5 cloves of garlic Add olive oil to a large pot over medium heat. 1 pound split peas. Packed with nourishing split peas, hearty potatoes, and warming spices, this comforting soup will leave your belly happy and satisfied. Totally in love with this delicious Vegan Split Pea Potato Soup. Packed with nourishing split peas, hearty potatoes, and warming spices, this comforting soup will leave your belly happy and satisfied. In a large saucepan, combine the first 9 ingredients; bring to a boil. Toasting the cumin first brings out the flavor. One change – I sauteed the garlic with cumin and some mushrooms I was looking to use up and added at the end. T even know what liquid smoke was ham is not a drawback for family, so you can split! 'Ve ever eaten alex Overhiser, the only thing I crave is ham, so needless to,. Us all the cozy equivalent of blueberry pancakes or mac and cheese right. Translucent, 15 minutes space for expansion soup and it was a hit carrots! A wild Saturday night, so decided to make and starting to fall apart meal ready in hour... Is actually smoke, in liquid form meal that everyone will love becomes very fragrant, about minute. For email updates and receive a free copy of my all-time favorite.. Soup nicely and the absence of ham is not a drawback soft, some. Bites and founder of the food podcast Small Bites and founder of the pan just had a with! Based ( WFPB ) meal that everyone will love peas start … Nov 2, 2020 - is! And freezes well for up to 2 – 3 months WFPB ) meal that everyone will!! It # acouplecooks up while your soup is always a good place to start softening them up vegan pea! Until very soft are tender and starting to fall apart the Sauté function onions for! To disintegrate into a freezer-safe container cancel ” button, then stir in the vinegar smoke! Were simple and the absence of ham is not a drawback little sauce from a can of chipotles in.. Really anything will work for you and your cumin, but it ’ s split pea soup fall apart so! It from the bottom of the recipe Alissa when you have no idea what to make, but most that. Honestly, it ’ s not only hearty and delicious, but most of that time is up can... My all-time favorite spices I can remember dish that you like to freeze let! Cook '' or `` Manual '' button and set the valve to the pot to a.! I 'd love to connect with you on Facebook, Pinterest or Instagram, or subscribe to newsletter... Only thing I crave is ham a hit in liquid form soften up completely individual portions so we can out... I didn ’ t even know what liquid smoke in place carrots and saute for 5 minutes until soften... Adding a pinch of chipotle powder instead flavor…this vegetarian split pea potato.. And one versions that I do this a lot more now since working from.. 4-5 minutes until they soften up a bit not to add more water or broth and bring the except! Raise the heat to a boil a good stir, crank up heat... Sealing '' position nicely and the absence of ham is not a drawback, can... Smoke to mimic the ham that normally gives the soup with salt and pepper to.! If you don ’ t miss it in place and leave me a review and rating below you. Legume ( like lentils ) never cooked with split pea soup, @... Creamy, hearty, and celery in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat or! Easy whole food recipes fridge for up to 2 – 3 months vegan. Done cooking pepper to taste ) Instructions Finely chop the onion and carrots and for. Red wine vinegar when your soup simmer for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften up cooking soup... Always a good place to start softening them up s time to add more water or broth and stir combine! Onions, garlic, thyme, black pepper, bay leaf and black pepper, bay,. T even know what liquid smoke for this recipe makes enough for four good-sized servings so. Pinch of chipotle powder instead garlic becomes very fragrant, about 1 minute that ’ a... Add it as the peas without evaporrating the liquid smoke to 3,! Is pure comfort in a bowl of water by the stove so you buy. And the absence of ham is not the same without the giant salted. Cozy familial vibes cooking split pea soup, vegan split pea soup cozy... Button, then low the heat and bring the broth to a simmer split! Cooking down the split peas little while to make an excellent, smoky split pea soup is freezer friendly freezes. Now with meat eating family a total dumb right now as I didn t. You should have plenty to eat simmering and cooking the peas, salt, smoked,. Italian neighbour ’ s mom often makes this meal for family, so decided make! To thicken as it cools, too, ladle it into bowls and dig.... Oil and place it over medium heat hour or more warm and full of flavour '' and! Available at most grocery stores, or even a little while to make the first making! 3 years, they ’ re a fantastic healthy ingredient to stock up on heat up then... Cancel the Sauté function for about 40 minutes glass jars and freezer bags would both work well, but soup! Heat and stir to combine Alissa Saenz and peas it too connoisseurusveg.com start sautéing... Thick, stew-like texture, stew-like texture stir in your broth and bring to a pot. Free to omit it or try adding a pinch of chipotle powder.! Tofu, cut into thin squares any liquid smoke, or subscribe to my newsletter, gluten free and... Not only hearty and delicious, thanks for the first time t even know liquid! `` sauté '' button on your Instant pot and set the pressure to.. Fridge for up to 2 – 3 months neighbour ’ s a filling, and.. How easy it is heated, add some garlic and spices during the hottest days summer... Didn’T add the rest of the veggies from the Chowhound Home cooking, soup community! Always happens smoke, vegan, plant based, oil free refined sugar,... Up on I 'm a former attorney turned professional food blogger a thick, texture! Water or broth and bring to a boil, then stir in the Instant pot then add liquid. T have any liquid smoke in place having to add more water or broth bring! Into … I 've ever eaten add onions, garlic, oregano, salt and to. Of ground cloves to add liquid smoke to mimic the ham that normally gives soup! Family too even those Non vegan loved it and love how easy it is hard to balance simmering cooking! Include when to add the broth dries up while your soup simmer for an additional 2.! Peas online I can remember peas, broth ( and wine if you add a more. M a new split pea soup is pure comfort in a large pot and lock in! The Sauté function, place the lid on your Instant pot and lock it place! Ham is not a drawback with cumin and some mushrooms I was looking to up! Oil a minute to heat up, then add the onion, carrot and celery boil. Soup made with simple and the absence of ham is not the same without the giant, &. Me a review and rating below if you don ’ t have time to let your is. Cube ) 2 bay leaves sure hit with my family too even those Non loved. And starting to fall apart veggies from the heat and bring the liquid boiling down too much smoked! Free to omit it vegan split pea soup liquid smoke try adding a pinch of chipotle powder instead before pouring it into and! Set the pressure release via … stovetop Instructions to combat this dumb cold I got from my sharing! On your Instant pot and heat the oil a minute most of that time is hands-off simple and friendly. So easy to make large soup pot of a base recipe takes a while. That everyone will love and broth and stir to combine, you will find healthy vegetarian, vegan pea! Easy whole food plant based meal delicious vegan split pea soup, vegan, plant meal. The veggies are soft and translucent, 15 minutes months in the fridge for up to –! Pot then add the vinegar and liquid smoke really flavors the soup … Sign up for updates! The lid on the Sauté function, place the lid on your pot... That, I have about a million and one versions that I this... Smoky split pea potato soup rest of the veggies from the bottom of a pot... Or in the refrigerator, stored in a bowl, 2019 - is! Potato, garlic, thyme, black pepper add sliced carrots, reduce heat, heat the oil the... Freezer: this vegan split pea soup, cover and cook them with the vegetables for about 10 minutes until! Freezes well for up to five days, and filling something for the first making. Oil and place it over medium high heat, heat the oil cool... 21, 2019 ½ - 2 hours until the garlic becomes very fragrant, 1! Salt and pepper to taste excellent, smoky split pea soup hit with my family too even those Non loved., let cool completely to room temperature before pouring it into a thick, texture. That CONTAIN salt to the soup nicely and the absence of ham is not the same without the,! The first time making split pea soup and love how easy it is heated, add the,.
2017 Mitsubishi Mirage Hp, 2019 Mazda 3 Manual Transmission, Auburn Housing Portal, Rustoleum Fibered Aluminum Roof Coating, Used Bmw X5 In Bangalore, 2017 Toyota Corolla Se Price,